Thursday, May 2, 2013

Happy Earth Day!

                                                                           4-22-13
     ( Sorry I'm a little behind ...this post is a little over a week late of posting ....)

Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which events are held worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection.   

I have blogged a post  last year on ways we can help save the Earth & the environment .
 Click link below :
 http://paticlark.blogspot.com/2012/04/happy-earth-day.html

I  wanted to show awareness again so I'm doing another post this year , however I can admit  I need some  improvement on what I preach...  
I think at times we all can  fall off the band wagon ...  
                                      This year Recycling is at my top priority !!!

Here is a great website to find out what can or can't go into your recycle curbside bin or where to find a recyclable neighborhood drop off location. 
Just click the link below and put in your zip code and you will be well on your way.
http://earth911.com/recycling/ 



                          Another way  to celebrate  Earth Day is to  get outdoors ....

What better way to celebrate your awareness and appreciation of the environment on Earth Day than by giving back by planting !!!!!
             Plant a tree , flowers,   pot some greenery plants ,  grow a garden with  some vegetables & herbs . 

 If you don't have a yard ...no worries ... WATCH ....How cool this is  ... !!!!
                              A great way to get your kids involved too !
                                      (You know I'm going to buy one !!!..lol)


Growums "Garden in a Box" at Lowes


 I spent the day outdoors with my husband  working in our own garden
 & doing all sorts of planting!



                                                    Adding in an Angel  step stone
                                              A Valentine's Gift from my mother in law
                                                            Planting Tomatoes ...





                                                                    Herb garden ....
                              All cleaned up ...whew ~  got to keep up with the weeding !
                                         (Actually my husband did the weeding ...lol)



                                                     This year we planted plum tomatoes .
                                                          We added  a few solar lights ...

                                                              
                                                        Herbs are looking good ...

                                                               Italian Oregano
                                                                        Sage
                                                                    Rosemary ...
                                                           Italian & flat leaf Parsley
                                                       Planted some more basil ...

                                            I got to weed this area .....so many clovers ....
                                                          Place the seeds in the dirt.....

                                                        then  cover with dirt ...Done !

                                                                Watch them grow !


 I also started growing some tomatoes that need to be in a pot 
for 6 weeks then I can transfer to my garden !
Love watching stuff grow ....
Just like this lil Sunflower ...lol!
Our love grows stronger by each day!!!
( I just love sunflowers which  is on my bucket list to plant)

 All we have to do now  is edge the garden but that job is for another days work


                                                      My husband watering the garden .....
                                                          (He looks sooo serious ...lol)

                                   The grape vine is coming back to life from last year ....
I also  planted  a blackberry  & raspberry (bush)plants ....
 Change of clothes time ...
 I even got crafty and stained both potters ....
                                              The 2 plant bushels that I'm going to stain ....

                                                   I used Weather proofing wood stain ....
                                        (FYI:this can be recycled when I'm finished ...)



                                                                 Here we go .....




                                                                 So far so good ....


                                                           Inside of bushel done
                                                               Now the the outside ...
                                         Switch to a sponge so I can get into the creases ....

                                                     Flip and stain the bottom .....

                                                       One done ..one more to go .....
                                                                       
                                                                  Before ....After ....
 Let it dry for about 10 minutes ...
it is  hot outside today  so it should dry pretty quickly...
                               Makes sure to wipe the black iron lining to remove any stain ...
                                                                 Looks good & dry ...
                                                                  Now time to plant ....
                                  Make sure you remove the plastic bag  before planting ....
                                          I'm using all Natural & organic potting soil ....


                                                           Place soil in bushel...



                                             Dig out a hole to place the plant into ....



                      Cover with soil to make sure the plant is stable and centered...
                                                         Then water generously .....
                                                Repeat with the blackberry plant....



                                                       Now ...watch .. them all grow .....




 I also planted the Easter flowers that I brought home 
from church in memory of  my grandparents !
Yes they are still Alive ....I haven't killed them yet ...
I think I'm getting  a green thumb...
(This makes 3 plants that I planted for my grandparents and my garden is an inspiration of my grandparents in remembering them ...my grandmother always had a garden & flowers in her yard)








These flowers will die off and come back every year ...


I had a fun day of planting !!!
I will also try to be better at  the 5 "R's"....
Restore, Replenish , Reduce, Reuse and Recycle all day long!
Remember: Every day is Earth Day. Anything to help our environment is a perfect thing to do on Earth Day and every day. Don't restrict yourself to just one day a year; learn about how you can make a difference to environmental protection all the time. And put it into practice - every day!


No comments :

Post a Comment